American Airlines LGBT Policies, Practices and Community Recognition at a Glance
For nearly two decades, American Airlines has been a pioneer in its fair-minded policies and practices for its lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) customers and employees. American Airlines has consistently held the highest possible ranking on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index and remains the most gay-friendly of all U.S. airlines through its generous partnerships with the LGBT community, as well as its loyalty and respect for customers, employees and shareholders, and unflagging commitment to diversity.
“We know that all passengers, including gays and lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people, have many choices when it comes to travel. We want your loyal business and we will work to earn it.”
“Thank you so much for honoring me with the Extra Mile Award. I love your airline, because when it comes to LGBT equality, you were the first out of the gate. You were the first airline to offer domestic partner benefits, the first to make sure transgender workers are included in your anti-discrimination policy and the first to add LGBT-certified businesses to your supply chain. So let me be the first Labor Secretary to say, "Thank you for taking your industry to new heights."
Honorable Hilda Solis, U.S. Secretary of Labor, on November 18, 2011
at the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
Policies and Practices
- First major airline to implement same-sex domestic partner benefits (2000). Offers equal health benefits and travel privileges to same-sex partners of LGBT employees.
- First major airline to implement both sexual orientation (1993) and gender identity (2001) in its workplace nondiscrimination policies.
- First major airline to launch a dedicated LGBT-specific website complete with booking engine, www.aa.com/rainbow (November 2006).
- First major airline to endorse the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (2008) as well as the Tax Equity for Health Plan Beneficiaries Act (2009), to treat taxation of health insurance benefits for domestic partners equally with married spouses.
- First major airline to have a company-recognized LGBT employee resource group – GLEAM. Formed in 1994, GLEAM’s mission is to work with management and to reach out to allies and other employee groups to embrace the principles of fairness, acceptance and diversity in all company policies and programs.
- Admirals Club members are eligible to purchase “spousal” memberships for their domestic partners on an equal basis with heterosexual married couples.
- First Fortune 100 company to establish an entire gay and lesbian national marketing and sales team: The Rainbow TeAAm. The team consists of travel specialists working with gay and lesbian community groups and national and local organizations to expertly handle travel needs and benefits.
- One of the leading corporate members of the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association (IGLTA) – the world’s leading gay and lesbian travel association.
- American Airlines is a founding corporate member of the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, as well as the first and only airline today to include LGBT-owned businesses in its supplier diversity program.
Honors and Recognition
- Earned the highest possible score of 100 percent on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index. The only airline to achieve this distinction every year since its start (2002 – Present).
- The U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce names American Airlines’ George Carrancho as the first-ever recipient of its “LGBT Business Advocate Award” in 2013.
The National LGBT Bar Association honors American Airlines’ legal department with its 2013 “Out and Proud Corporate Counsel Award.” The National LGBT Bar Association honors American Airlines’ legal department with its 2013 “Out and Proud Corporate Counsel Award.”
- PlanetOut Award for “Airline of the Year” (2006 and 2007).
- The original “Rainbow TeAAm” sales group is inducted into the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association (IGLTA) Hall of Fame in 2006.
- Rainbow TeAAm has won Corporate Member of the Year from the Chicago Area Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (2000).
- Dallas Voice Readers Voice Award for Best Airline (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013).
- Dallas Voice Readers Voice Award for Best Smartphone Travel App (2011).
- Dallas Voice Readers Voice Award for Best Travel Website (2009).
- Dallas Pride honors American Airlines in 2013 as “Outstanding Corporate Partner” and for our “Outstanding Community Support 2007” and trophy recognition “Corporate Pride Best For Profit Entry” for the 2007 Pride parade.
- Out Traveler Magazine 2005, 2007 and 2008 Readers’ Choice Awards ranked American Airlines as “Best Airline” and “the gold standard U.S. carrier for hospitality and service.” Inducted into Out Traveler Hall of Fame in 2008.
- Out & About Editor’s Choice Award for Best Airline (1995 and 1996).
- AIDS Action Foundation “Community Service Award 1998” for American Airlines, accepted in Washington, D.C. by CEO Bob Crandall (April 6, 1998).
- San Francisco AIDS Foundation Corporate Leadership Award (1998).
- AIDS Funders Conference Corporate Leadership Award (1998).
- Advocate Magazine and the Advocate Business Traveler ranked American Airlines “at the top” (June 1995).
- First airline national advertiser on LGBT cable network LOGO (2007).
- “Fly Forward” advertising campaign wins top award for Best Print Advertisement from the International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association (IGLTA) (2009).
- Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center Corporate Vision Award (2009)
- Logo’s TripOutGayTravel.com TripOut Gay Travel Award for Best Airline (2009 and 2010)
- Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation’s (GLAAD) Corporate Responsibility Award (2010)
- Dallas Black Tie Dinner Committee’s Elizabeth Birch Award (2010)
- National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce Corporation of the Year (2010)
- International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association’s Corporate Partner Award (2011)
- Lambda Legal’s Corporate Equality Award (2011)
- Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation’s Amplifier Award for “Outstanding Print Campaign” and “Outstanding Outdoor Campaign” (2011)
- Lambda Legal’s National Liberty Award (2012)
- National Center for Lesbian Rights’ (NCLR) Corporate Citizenship Award (2012)
Giving to the CommunityAmerican Airlines serves as the official airline for many organizations (and this list is far from complete):
- The Human Rights Campaign
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
- National Center for Lesbian Rights
- National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce—New York
- LAMBDA Legal Defense and Education
- GLBT Resource Center of Dallas
- Mautner Project
- Dallas Black Tie Dinner
- Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center
- Center on Halsted
- Miami Dade County Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- North Texas GLBT Chamber of Commerce
- LGBT NY Community Center
- International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association
- Elton John AIDS Foundation
- The Chicago Area Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- True Colors Fund
- The Point Foundation