AAdvantage® Loyalty Program Fact Sheet
When the AAdvantage loyalty program was introduced by American Airlines in 1981, it was the world’s first frequent-flyer program. Today, it is both a recognition program for the airline’s most loyal customers and a global travel awards program – offering members countless ways to earn and redeem miles. Now in its 30th year, the award-winning AAdvantage program has more than 67 million members across the globe, making it one of the world’s most successful loyalty programs.
- AAdvantage members earn mileage credits by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle AmericanConnection® and oneworld® carriers, as well as on other airline participants. Members also earn mileage credits when using co-branded credit and debit cards or by transacting with participating car rental companies, hotels, retailers and a wide variety of service providers. In fact, about half of all miles earned are for products and services other than flying.
- Members can earn miles with more than 1,000 participants, which include 27 hotel chains representing more than 60 brands, more than 20 airlines, eight car rental companies, 11 financial companies and more than 500 brand name retailers. In addition, members can earn miles when making purchases with one of more than 100 affinity card products in more than 40 countries.
- In 2010, AAdvantage members redeemed more than 165 billion miles to claim just fewer than 7.2 million awards for flights, upgrades, car rentals, hotel stays and more.
- Members can redeem accumulated miles for travel to nearly 950 AAdvantage award destinations worldwide on American and airline participants. Miles also may be used for cabin upgrades, AmericanAirlines VacationsSM packages and Admirals Club membership. Miles or a combination of miles and cash can be used to pay for car rentals or hotel stays at more than 10,000 locations worldwide. Additionally, miles can be donated to the Miles for Kids in Need® program.
- Redeeming AAdvantage miles for travel is easy with the award booking tool on AA.com – which is also available in Spanish. Just enter the destination and travel dates, and the calendar will display available flights. Colorful, easy-to-use tabs allow customers to select the type of award they wish to claim. Round-trip flight awards require as few as 25,000 miles. (See award structure below for details).
- One-Way Flex Awards give AAdvantage members even more flexibility to use their miles. Members can combine awards by type (AAnytime® or MileSAAver®awards), cabin (First, Business, Economy), and season (Peak, Off-Peak), or even book a travel award one way for exactly half the miles required for a round-trip ticket.
- To access the AAdvantage award booking tool, visitors to AA.com simply click on the “Redeem AAdvantage Miles” link from the drop down on the AA.com homepage or go to www.aa.com/redeemmiles.
- In 2010, AAdvantage introduced a convenient way for members to use their miles on car rentals and hotel stays. Customers who visit www.aa.com/carandhotelawards can enjoy competitive non-air partner redemption rates, and elite members get the added bonus of exclusive rates based on their elite status. Other benefits allow customers to:
- Book car rentals and hotel stays using only miles or a combination of cash plus as few as 1,000 AAdvantage miles
- Make last-minute bookings by redeeming miles for car rentals and hotel stays instantly
- Choose from an expanded list of car rental and hotel partners at more than 10,000 locations in more than 320 worldwide destinations
- The AAdvantage program recently has been recognized with numerous honors, including:
- The Loyalty Leadership Award at the 2011 Frequent Traveler Awards. (April 2011) www.ftawards.com
- The Mega Award for “Best Loyalty Campaign for an Airline” for the Up in the Air promotion (October 2010) www.aiglobal.org
- A “Best Bonus Promotion” Freddie Award for American’s Double Elite-Qualifying Miles offer from Spring 2008 (May 2009) www.freddieawards.com
- Being named the “Highest-Rated Frequent Flyer Program in the World for Award Redemption” by InsideFlyer (April 2009) www.insideflyer.com
- Being named by IdeaWorks as having the “Best U.S. Award Redemption Availability” (April 2009) www.ideaworkscompany.com
The AAdvantage program provides members with several options for redeeming miles for award travel:
- AAnytime® Awards – Available on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection carrier flights, these awards may be claimed for any available seat in the designated class of service on any day. AAnytime awards are not subject to capacity controls. Members can redeem miles to book the very last available seat on the plane.
- MileSAAver® Awards – Available on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection carriers and AAdvantage participant airlines, these awards require fewer miles to claim than do AAnytime awards. However, they come with restrictions, such as limited seat availability.
- Upgrade Awards – Available on American Airlines flights, these awards allow passengers to move up to the next class of service from the class of service in which they’re ticketed. Additionally, customers can use their AAdvantage miles to upgrade from select fares on eligible British Airways or Iberia flights.
- oneworld Alliance Awards – Available for travel on the 12 oneworld airlines as well as more than 20 affiliate airlines, these awards are designed especially for passengers flying to multiple regions or multiple cities within a region. The mileage required is based on class of service and distance, providing members additional flexibility and itinerary options, such as Around-the-World trips.
- AAdvantage All Airline Awards -Allow members to travel on a combination of any of our participating airlines that offer eligible service to your destination. These awards are subject to special limitations on seating availability and to travel embargo dates on some participant airlines.
Elite Status Membership – Recognition Programs For Our Most Loyal Customers
Loyal flyers can enjoy exclusive membership in the AAdvantage Executive Platinum® , AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® programs. Each Elite level provides a unique set of added benefits when traveling, including priority check-in and security screening, pre-boarding and seating, bonus miles, complimentary upgrades, waived checked baggage charges and an exclusive hot-line number for reservations, seating and meal requests.
Members qualify for these programs based on the number of miles or segments earned during a calendar year. Members also can qualify for elite status by accumulating points, which are calculated based on a combination of earned miles and class of service purchased.
2011 Elite Status Qualification
- First Class, Business Class and full-fare Economy Class tickets earn 1.5 points for every qualifying mile earned. Discount Economy Class tickets earn 1 point per mile and deep discount economy class tickets earn 0.5 points per mile.
Other AAdvantage Products and Services
Mileage Multiplier allows AAdvantage members to double or triple their mileage balance faster by purchasing extra AAdvantage bonus miles with every eligible flight. Mileage Multiplier is offered to AAdvantage members upon check-in at AA.com (or mobile.AA.com) and at Self-Service Check-In machines at U.S. domestic locations in conjunction with eligible flights. An eligible flight includes travel within the next 24 hours on a purchased fare on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection carrier. More details are at www.aa.com/mileagemultiplier.
AAdvantage eShoppingSM Mall
The AAdvantage eShopping mall is a fast and convenient way to earn miles while shopping online or at retail stores. Customers can shop with more than 500 participating brand-name merchants including Target.com, Macys.com, BarnesandNoble.com and HomeDepot.com. Customers can simply visit www.aa.com/aadvantageeshopping and enter their AAdvantage number before continuing on to the online store of their choice. They can also register any credit or debit card to automatically earn AAdvantage miles by shopping with participating retailers and service providers offline.
AAdvantage DiningSM Program
The AAdvantage Dining program is a delicious way to earn miles. When dining at any one of the thousands of participating restaurants across the U.S. and Canada, members can earn up to five AAdvantage miles for every dollar spent on food, drinks, tax and tip with a registered credit card. Customers can register up to six credit cards in the program. More details are at www.aa.com/aadvantagedining.
buyAAmiles® and giftAAmilesSM programs
AAdvantage members can buy the AAdvantage miles needed to reach travel awards using the buyAAmiles program or give the gift of travel by using the giftAAmiles program. buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles transactions are limited to a combined maximum of 40,000 miles per account, per calendar year. More details are at www.aa.com/buymiles and www.aa.com/giftmiles.
The shareAAmiles program allows AAdvantage members to transfer miles from their AAdvantage accounts into other AAdvantage members’ accounts. Members may transfer a maximum of 60,000 AAdvantage miles from their accounts per calendar year, and members may receive a maximum of 15,000 AAdvantage miles into their account per calendar year. More details are at www.aa.com/sharemiles.
AAdvantage Social Media Channels
In 2011, AAdvantage launched its Facebook and Twitter channels, dedicated solely to sharing information on the numerous opportunities to earn miles for doing business with American Airlines and its growing list of partners. Posts on each channel detail ways for AAdvantage members to boost their mileage balance, including special mileage offers and promotions. The channels also encourage followers to share their own tips and tricks for racking up miles. AAdvantage channels can be found at facebook.com/aadvantage or the Twitter handle @AAdvantage.
For complete details on the AAdvantage program and a listing of participating companies, please visit www.aa.com/aadvantage.