American offers two programs to help raise funds for the USO.
First, if you would like to make a cash donation through our Miles In Support of All Who Serve program, American will reward your generosity with AAdvantage® miles. Simply make a minimum $25 donation and earn 10 miles for each dollar you donate.
Or, if your plans call for travel — be it business or pleasure — consider funding your travel through pre-purchased USO co-branded travel gift cards. When you select the USO gift card option, American will donate $5 to the USO for every $50 of travel purchased.
Where do these fundraising dollars go?
- Families of the Fallen: The USO Families of the Fallen Support Program offers support to friends and family awaiting the return of their fallen loved one.
- USO Warrior and Family Care: This initiative helps those who sacrifice so much move from the battlefield to a full and productive future.
- Operation USO Care Package: Care packages filled with high-demand items for our troops, such as prepaid international phone cards, snacks, entertainment and travel-size toiletries
- Mobile USO: This USO-Center-on-wheels travels to the most remote bases and offers a comfortable place to relax and connect online with family.
- Pro vs. GI Joe: Famous professional athletes are matched with service men and women in a real-time video game duel.
- Trevor Romain: This partnership supports and uplifts the littlest members of the troops — the children of our service men and women.
- USO in a Box: Shippable USO Center, sent anywhere in the world to support and entertain troops
- USO Operation Phone Home: Free phone calls for the troops in need of a familiar voice from home
- United Through Reading: Service men and women can record a DVD of themselves reading a book for their family to enjoy.
- USO2GO: Delivery of the USO’s most popular services to troops in remote and restricted areas
- MEGS: Portable, self-contained multimedia gaming systems that can be delivered anywhere in the world.
- Sesame Street Workshop: The workshop helps children between the ages of 2-6 who have deployed family members.
- With You All the Way: The USO and Trevor Romain partnership builds morale amongst the children of active duty troops by hosting an array of programs.
- Free Afghan Languages Program: Resources to lower the language barrier that currently exists in Afghanistan.
- USO Holiday Boxes: This program bundles fun items that help service men and women celebrate holidays and occasions in even the most remote locations.
- Full Circle Home: FCH sends gift boxes to the women in deployed troops’ lives with a goal of letting them know that their service member is thinking of them.
- Other Services
The USO is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to support the troops by providing morale, welfare and recreation-type services to our men and women in uniform. Chartered by Congress, the intent of the USO is to represent the American people by extending a touch of home to the military.
USO, by the numbers
The USO is a nonprofit and nonpartisan organization that depends on donations from the American people to be able to fulfill its programs and services.
How do you measure the value of the USO to troops and families? The 2012 TELL USO survey just concluded with record participation. The 2012 data showed that 82% of those surveyed felt the USO lets them know that “my country supports me.” Here is some of what the USO does and who the organization helps:
- The Sesame Street/USO Experience for Military Families, the USO's first-ever traveling tour designed specifically for families and the USO’s longest-running tour, has performed more than 631 shows on 145 military bases in 33 states and 11 countries worldwide and lifted the spirits of more than 368,000 troops and military families since 2008.
- Since its partnership with United Through Reading® began in 2006, the USO has helped thousands of military families stay connected during deployment with the recording and shipment of more than 250,000 United Through Reading® DVDs to military families around the globe.
- USO Warrior and Family Care is the comprehensive long-term program to support wounded, ill and injured troops and their families/caregivers, as well as families of the fallen. The USO has established a continuum of care designed to support this special group by helping them build the hope and confidence they need to heal with honor and work toward a full and rewarding life.
- Last year USO2GO deployed more than 327 bundles, weighing nearly one ton each, to remote forward operating bases around the globe.
- Among our nation’s active duty population, there are almost 2 million family members. 44 percent of active duty service members have children and 42 percent of those children are under the age of six.