Along with a demand for organic and natural products comes increased interest in more holistic therapies. In Thailand, at the spa at the Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, guests are requesting chakra healing as well as energy and crystal treatments, says spa director Chandarella Luzon. “They also want to experience something local and indigenous to the destination they’re visiting.” Fittingly, the spa’s Thai massage is the most popular treatment.
Top 10 International
1. Banyan Tree Spa Bangkok, Thailand011-66-2-679-1200,banyantreespa.com
2. Banyan Tree Spa Phuket, Thailand
3. The Spa at Las Ventanas al Paraíso,A Rosewood Resort, Los Cabos, Mexico(888) 767-3966, lasventanas.com
4. Cinq Mondes Spa, Beau-Rivage Palace,Lausanne, Switzerland
5. Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo,Monaco 011-377-98-06-69-00,thermesmarinsmontecarlo.com
6. The Spa at Four Seasons Resort ChiangMai, Thailand
7. The Oriental Spa at Mandarin Oriental,Bangkok, Thailand
8. Spa at Four Seasons Resort Baliat Jimbaran Bay
9. Dior Institut at the Hotel Plaza Athénée,Paris, France (tie)
9. Dheva Spa at Mandarin Oriental DharaDhevi, Chiang Mai, Thailand (tie)
And more and more, the spa experience is an important and deliberate element of guests’ travel itineraries, not just a last-minute add-on to fill a few hours.
“Guests are looking for a spa experience that transcends just the hour or two they spend at the actual spa,” says Joyce Ong, spa director at the Banyan Tree SPA Bangkok (which ranked as the No. 1 international spa this year). “They are looking to integrate this wellness experience into their travel experience as a whole so they can return home feeling fully revitalized.”
And with more families traveling these days, spas are evolving to keep up with guests’ needs. This might mean taking the little ones along to the spa, too. The Spa at the Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai introduced kids’ spa treatments last fall specifically for children ages 6 and above. “The objective is to offer families the opportunity to connect by visiting the spa together, and at the same time introduce the concept of good health and wellness to kids from an early age.” Parents and kids can do yoga together or get massages side by side. The spa’s Angel Bliss massage works toward soothing a child’s nervous system, strengthening immunity, and improving sleep through a gentle oil massage of the scalp, legs, and feet.
While there is new emphasis on natural therapies and family treatments, guests continue to look for results-oriented anti-aging and weight-loss programs as well.