CL’s discriminating spa-goers are a savvy bunch. They want an exceptional treatment that goes beyond skin deep, and these top-notch spas certainly deliver.
From Tucson to Thailand, luxury spas are seeing guests that want more than just an hour-long, feel-good treatment. Today’s spa-goers are highly aware of their skin and body and are looking for health and therapeutic benefits that last longer and will help them live better.
Top 10 U.S.
1. Canyon Ranch in Tucson, Arizona
(800) 742-9000, canyonranch.com
2. Waihua Spa at The Ritz-Carlton,Kapalua, Maui, Hawaii
(808) 669-6200, ritzcarlton.com/kapalua
3. Agua Spa at Delano, Miami Beach
(305) 672-2000, delano-hotel.com
4. Lake Austin Spa Resort, Austin, Texas
(800) 847-5637, lakeaustin.com
5. The Spa at JW Marriott Camelback InnResort & Spa, Scottsdale, Arizona
(800) 582-2169, camelbackinn.com
6. Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa,Miami Beach
(800) 742-9000, canyonranch.com/miamibeach
7. Hualalai Sports Club and Spa at FourSeasons Resort Hualalai at HistoricKa’upulehu, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
8. The Spa at The Grand Del Mar, San Diego
(858) 314-2000, thegranddelmar.com
9. Golden Door, Escondido, California
(800) 424-0777, goldendoor.com
10. Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, Tucson
(800) 232-3969, miravalresorts.com
“Guests are realizing that massage is more than a pampering experience and can provide tangible health benefits,” says Ken Morris, spa director at Canyon RancH IN Tucson (which ranked No. 1). “This means an increased demand in services such as Connective Tissue Rebalancing, Neuromuscular Therapy, Rejuvenating Waters, and Ashiatsu. All of these address fascia or connective tissue in different ways to help guests feel better long after they’ve left the treatment room.”
In Hawaii, at the Waihua Spa at the Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, spa director Douglas Piil echoes that sentiment. “Guests are very savvy when it comes to skin care, and their knowledge base is far more extensive these days; they ask in-depth questions about product ingredients and protocols. Our guests crave skin-care education on a whole new level.”
For its treatments, the Waihua Spa uses Eminence, a Hungarian line of organic beauty products featuring ingredients such as paprika, cinnamon, and papaya.
At the Lake Austin Spa Resort, therapists incorporate herbs and flowers such as lavender, lemon balm, and rosemary from the on-site organic garden into treatments, notes spa director Robin Jones. “It really comes down to freshness of product — that they’re really clean and made with thought and intention.” Jones adds that many spa guests are choosing natural, organic treatments even if the results from natural enzymes are slower.
“Our Serum of Youth Plant Stem Cell Facial is a natural face-lift treatment that utilizes an herbal peel with plant stem cell serum to stimulate new skin cell growth,” she says. “It’s gentler and a newer technology, though American Indians probably knew all this years and years ago.”