Blatant Disregard For The "Do Not Disturb" Sign
On one leg of an eight-week business trip, I purposely arrived at my hotel a day early so that I could have a peaceful afternoon, an early dinner, and retire at a decent hour in order to be ready for a hectic week. After dinner, I told the operator to put a "Do Not Disturb" on my telephone and got into bed.

No sooner had my head touched the pillow than the phone rang. I couldn't believe it. I answered the phone and a man on the other end said, "What are you doing in there?" "Who is this?" I asked. He replied, "I know what you're doing, and you better get out of there." I told the caller he obviously had the wrong room and hung up. My heart was pounding, but I laid back down.
Then the telephone rang again. Before I could even say a word, the caller said, "I told you, I know what you're doing in there and to get out. Now I am coming to get you!"

I immediately called the hotel operator and told her to send security. But before I even hung up, he was pounding on my door, then putting a key in the lock and opening the door! I was screaming at the operator, "He's here. He's here! He's going to kill me!" Luckily,­ I had the chain bolted so he couldn't get in. The operator assured me security was on the way, and I soon heard men's voices in the hall and the door was gently pulled closed. I said to the operator, "What's happening?" She said to me, "Everything is all right now. Have a good sleep." And she hung up!

I immediately called her back and said, "Look, there's no way I'm going to sleep, and I want to know now who was at my door!" The operator sighed and admitted that it was the hotel's night manager, who hadn't expected the suite to be occupied. She explained that a maid had been sneaking people into unoccupied accommodations, and the night manager thought that he had caught someone red-handed.

- Carole Lynn Steiner,
Bayside, New York

The Moral Of The Story? Drink More Coffee!
On a business trip in Las Vegas, I de­cided­ to walk to the convention center one morning since it was close to my hotel. Unfortunately, I had had too much coffee and had to stop to use the restroom in a small church. As I left the restroom, I noticed a funeral serv­ice was in progress. For whatever reason, I decided to stay for a few minutes and pay my respects. I asked a young woman about the man who had passed away. She bluntly told me that he was not a nice man, which was confirmed by the size of the service. As I left, I signed my name in the book of condolences and headed out to my meeting. Three months later, I received a call from an attorney notifying me that I was in­cluded in the gentleman's will for simply signing his book, and I was going to receive $5,000! I never cashed the check. It's in a frame in my office.

- Shahin Boroomand,
Los Angeles, California

Island Fever
One June, I was fortunate to be able to combine a business trip to Hawaii with a family tag-along. My daughter, although very shy, enjoyed the local hula and the amenities of the quaint Lahaina inn we stayed at, especially the pool. When we returned to the reality of New York, my husband and I often reminisced about the trip. We must have had a tone of longing that small ears could interpret, because one day my daughter said to me, "Mommy, don't worry anymore about Hawaii. I took care of it." "What do you mean?" I asked her. She showed me a souvenir pen from the inn that had their phone number on it. "I made a reservation," she said proudly. "Now you can be happy." I called the number and asked if a little girl had just called, doubting in my heart the ingenuity of my shy little girl. "Oh, yes," was the response. "She was delightful. She said she loved our pool and was making a reservation."

- Jeanne Murphy,
Port Jefferson, New York

If It Ain't Broke, Break It
Selling heavy equipment for civil engineering projects, I have had to travel to some peculiar places. Once, when my rental car broke down in the middle of the jungle, I hopped on a local bus. We came to a low-lying area filled with water and mud that was too deep to drive across. Suddenly, out of the jungle came some locals with a long rope. They said they could pull us across if we paid them a fee. The bus driver took up a collection among the passengers, and the men attached the rope to the bumper of the bus and proceeded to pull us across. As we drove away, I saw them refilling the depression with mud and water. Entrepreneurship at its best! 

- Raymond Burrus, Tulsa, Oklahoma