2. Try, mer, ban
3. It contains no Ts; T is the second-most-used letter in English.
4. Short circuit
5. “My trip to the North Pole was a real adventure,” said Tom huskily.
6. James is six; Jim is nine.
7. When the stars shine, they are out, but when an electric light is not working, it’s out. (Code: A=Z, B=A, C=B, etc.)
8. Afternoon is when we wonder what we did that morning.
9. Each can be anagrammed into the name of a city (Basel/Basle, Denver, Meissen, Toledo).
10. Mistress Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?