1. Unscramble the 27 letters below to make the six-word first line of a famous American folk song.
A A B D E E E E G H I I I K L
N N N O O O R R R T V W
2. Rachel has six more brothers than she has sisters. Her brother Ryan has three times as many brothers as he has sisters. How many boys and girls are there in the family? (Hint: There are no more than 10 children.)
3. If eight winkles and nine wonkles cost $118, and nine winkles and eight wonkles cost $120, how much will five winkles and five wonkles cost?
4. Unscramble the 14 letters below to make a common four-word phrase meaning “exasperate.”
A D E E H I L L P R T U V W
5. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same eight letters, can be used to complete the sentences below?
“You are _______________ foolishly,” the
politician said to his inebriated aide. “I am
afraid you will soon be __________ political
6. The following descriptions are of real magazine titles that have been changed by one letter.
(a) A guide for narcissistic couples
(b) Countryside yelling
(c) Summaries of success
7. What is the number that is one-fifth of one-tenth of one-half of 10,000?
8. First, unscramble the letters in each word below; then, unscramble the word order to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
IADS MOT VEI TRSAEK
TGEAR DAH A KCUL FO TA
ECRAKRACT HET NYLWIMSOE.
9. The following puzzle consists of one word that can be split into two words.
One word: a type of road covering
Two words: a stop sign for certain snakes
Bonus Question: According to a popular and well-known song, Mele Kalikimaka is Hawaiian for what phrase?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2010 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.