The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Without seeking the assistance of fellow passengers, can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, the answers are below.By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
1. Fill in the missing blanks to complete the word below.
2. Start with the number of Pillars of Wisdom, add the number of little pigs in the popular fable, then divide by the number of legs on a biped. What number do you get?
3. The Great Detective was faced with a theft. There were only four suspects, and he knew one came from Liar Land and the other three from Truth Land. But who was who? “I didn’t do it,” said A. “I didn’t do it,” said B. “A did it,” said C. “A did it,” said D. Who was guilty?
4. Ryan is now as old as Rachel was two years ago. In nine years, he will be nine-tenths as old as Rachel. Five years ago, Ryan was two-thirds as old as Rachel. How old are they now? Hint: Neither one is a teenager.
5. The following 21 letters can be anagrammed into a four-word phrase that describes part of the preparation for an evening meal.
6. What two sets of homophones (words that sound the same but are spelled differently) can be used to complete the sentences below?
7. The archaeologist had an overeager assistant. One day, the assistant showed up tremendously excited. “Look, look,” he shouted. “I found a coin dated 3 B.C.!” The archaeologist fired him on the spot. Why?
8. A certain logic has been followed in placing the numbers in the boxes below. Complete the last box using the same logical progression.
9. Some good advice is coiled in the grid below. To spell it out, start with one letter and move to an adjacent letter in any direction. (Hint: Start with an N. One null.)
10. Find the word that best completes the following sequence:
1) Meat 2) Walnut 3) Hope 4) Listen
Bonus Question: Although most moons are named from classical mythology, from what source are the major moons of Uranus named?
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWERS
2. 5 (7 + 3 / 2 = 5)
3. A. (If only one of them was a liar, then if two of them said that A did it, at least one was telling the truth.)
4. Ryan is nine and Rachel is 11.
5. Setting the dinner table
6. Mooed, mood; steak, stake
7. Nobody in 3 B.C. knew at the time that it
was 3 B.C. Therefore, nobody would have dated a coin that way.
8. 60 (add the numbers in the four corners)
9. Nothing ventured nothing gained but nothing lost either
10. Walnut. (Each word in the sequence contains a pair of letters in reverse alphabetical order.)
Bonus Question: Shakespere