1. Which of the scrambled words below is least like the others? The difference has nothing to do with vowels, consonants, or syllables.
TISU KAJCTE LBUOES RDMU
2. Choose the correct letter from each clue in the rhyme below. When put in order, the five letters will spell the answer to the riddle.
My first is in hope and also hate
My second in eat and also ate
My third in hope you’ll also find
My fourth in pink but not in mind
My last in young you’ll also find
My whole a pleasant state of mind
3. Replace the first letter of both words in each row to make two new words that start with the same letter. Place the new first letter in the blank between the two words. When you’re finished, you’ll have a new word reading down.
Handle __________ Those
Lisle __________ Sward
Monger __________ Reaping
Bother __________ Fountain
4. If one cook can cook three turkeys in four hours, how many cooks will it take to cook 15 turkeys in the same amount of time, assuming that there is enough oven space for each cook?
5. Figure out the pattern in the first three examples, and use it to figure out the last number.
1, 3, 4 (16)
2, 6, 1 (18)
5, 2, 7 (28)
3, 4, 5 (?)
6. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same eight letters, can complete the sentence below?
The homeowner ___________ quite normally until
he fell in love with roses and, becoming quite
___________, planted hundreds of rose bushes in
his tiny garden plot.
7. Find the number that best completes the sequence below.
1 4 16 ? 256
Bonus Question: To whom is the adage “An army marches on its stomach” attributed?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2010 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.