The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, click here for the answers. By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
1. Charlie went to a professional football game with Steve. Steve is Charlie’s mother’s only husband’s only daughter’s only husband. What relation is he to Charlie?
2. What three letters (a different set for each pair of words) can be inserted into the blanks below to make a word on either side?
LUM _ _ _ GAIN
PLA_ _ _STION
BAND_ _ _ NCY
3. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same six letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?
The discovery of dangerous materials that a ________ worked with led to better conditions, and the ___________ of poisoning was removed.
4. A statement is coiled in the grid below. To spell it out, start with one letter and move to an adjacent letter in any direction. (Start with an “N.” One null.)
5. If three chefs can stuff four turkeys in 20 minutes, how long will it take six chefs to stuff 12 turkeys?
6. If the cube root of eight is two, cross out the Q’s and U’s; if not, cross out the R. If Queen Elizabeth II could have met President Wilson, cross out the I; if not, cross out the Y’s. If the Bahamas are south of North Carolina, cross out the M’s; if not, cross out the T. What do you have?
Y R Q U I Y G Y M M H Q U T
(Word for decorate) __________ (Part of a ship)
(Not heavy) ____________ (To illuminate)
(A direction) ___________ (Correct)
Bonus Question: Before Juliet became Romeo’s main squeeze, who was his love interest?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2008 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2008 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.