1. Choose the correct letter from each clue in the rhyme below. When put in order, the four letters will spell the answer to the riddle.
My second in off but not in free.
My third in end you’ll always find.
My last in me but not in wind.
My whole a word that tells a tale;
The story told shall not grow stale.
___ ___ ___ ___
2. The sum of two numbers, one of which is exactly half the other, plus 1 equals 100. Can you find the numbers?
3. Pat is three times as old as she was 14 years ago. In seven years, she will be four times as old as she was 14 years ago. How old is she now?
4. Unscramble the letters in each word below, then unscramble the word order to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
DAIS EKLI REATN ATEGROIALLYCC.
5. Find the word that best completes the following sequence.
a) Alone b) Crowd c) Depart d) Want
6. The following puzzle consists of one word that can be split into two words.
Two words: specialist located
7. Which of the words below is least like the others?
(Hint: The difference has nothing to do with vowels, consonants or syllables.)
8. Match each wedding anniversary with the proper traditional gift.
2. Fifth b. Tin
3. Tenth c. Silver
4. 25th d. Diamond
5. 60th or 75th e. Paper
Bonus Question: Which monster from Greek mythology guards the third circle of hell in Dante’s Inferno?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2010 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.