1. An eight-letter word is coiled in the box below. Find it by beginning with the correct letter and moving clockwise or counterclockwise around the box, using each letter only once.
2. The florist has a lot of flowers to deliver. He can deliver 40 orders in four hours with one truck. How many trucks (and drivers, of course) should he hire to deliver 160 orders in two hours?
3. Sarah likes anchors but not anchovies. She likes lichens but not cheese. Following the same rule, will she like chicken or architecture?
4. Figure out the pattern; then fill in the number.
March 10 = 13
April 9 = 13
August 4 = 12
October 20 = ?
5. The names of seven people are hidden in the following sentence. Can you find them? (The letters are in consecutive order.)
6. What number is one-half of one-tenth of one-half of one-half of 2,000?
7. Lenore was buying supplies for her party. She spent 10 percent of what she had on candy and soda, 20 percent of the original amount on paper plates, 40 percent of the original amount on sandwiches, and then $10 on ribbons. She had $20 left. How much did she start with?
8. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same five letters, can complete the sentence below?
ancient languages, had to rummage among
________ piles of books to find what he needed.
Bonus Question: In what year was the first televised presidential debate held in the United States?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2008 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2008 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.