1. Our local toy store prices its merchandise according to the owner’s whim. A doll costs $12, a kite costs $15, a skateboard costs $34 and a ringtoss costs $24. According to this system, how much will a blackboard cost?
2. The lines of each couplet below end in words that rhyme. Can you find them?
That very large and ornate __ __ __ __.
It had truly tragic __ __ __ __,
It arrived at the wedding hours __ __ __ __.
5. The explorer found a very rare lizard. It was quite large. The head was nine inches long, the tail was three times as long and the body was twice the length of the sum of the head and tail lengths. How many inches long was this lively lizard?
6. A grocery store put out a large supply of jack-o’- lanterns for sale at Halloween. One party planner bought 25 percent, another group bought half the total and another party planner bought 25, leaving the store with 25. How many jack-o’-lanterns were there in all?
7. If five hungry pizza eaters can eat two and a half pizzas in half an hour, how many pizzas will 12 hungry pizza eaters eat in one hour?
8. Unscramble the 13 letters below to make a common three-word phrase for an invisible barrier.
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2010 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.