1. The following 25 letters can be rearranged into a six-word phrase for what adventurous people are always seeking. What is the phrase?
I I O O O U R S D M N N
2. The third-grade teacher was trying to teach math and puzzle solving. She showed her class a bag full of coins totaling 96 cents. She said there was an equal number of pennies, nickels, and dimes. How many of each coin were in the bag?
3. Find a word for a type of complexion, and then add a letter to get a word that means “not deep.” Then, find a word for a part of the body and add a letter to get a word for part of a fireplace.
4. To the best of our knowledge, only one word can be made from all these letters: GHILMOOOPRST. Can you figure out what it is?
5. First unscramble the letters in each word below, and then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
LREA SI OT A ANMOBTII
6. How many English words can you make from the letters below, using each letter only once?
7. Find the five-digit number in which the first digit is one less than the second, the third is the sum of the first and the second, the fourth is the sum of the second and the third, and the last is one less than the fourth and also the sum of the first and the third. The sum of all the digits is 25.
8. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same six letters, can be used to complete the sentences below?
______________. The tenant had several pictures
to show his windows ___________ shut.
9. Five knitters knit 10 scarves in three days. How long will it take six knitters to make 24 scarves?
Bonus Question: Give the name of the comic strip created by V.T. Hamlin that first appeared in the 1930s. The title character shares his name with a term associated with basketball.
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2008 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2008 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.