The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, the answers are on this page.
1. Place the same three-letter word in each blank below to make three different words.
_ _ _ DON
_ _ _ URE
2. Find the word that fits the definitions below when it’s a whole word and when it’s divided into two separate words.
An animal _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (seven letters)
b. Two words:
1) To breathe quickly _ _ _ _ (four letters)
2) A personal pronoun _ _ _ (three letters)
3. One piece of material is nine inches plus half its length. How long would the piece of material and half of itself be?
4. A popular proverb has been put into fancy language. Put it back into its original form.
will fail to maintain his financial status
as an owner of significant pelf.
5. How many proper English words can you make from the letters below, using all five letters once in each word? We found four words.
6. If the square of 4 is 16, cross out “A” and “B” in the list that follows. If the square of 5 is 4, cross out “C” and “R.” If the square root of 16 is 4, cross out “D” and “N.” If “It’s” is not plural, cross out “S.” What do you get?
7. A group of Brownies contributed their loose change to a luncheon, and when the money was totaled, it was $4.80, with the same number of pennies, nickels and dimes. How many of each coin were there?
Bonus Question: Find a six-digit number with the first digit one less than the second, the second digit one less than the third, the fourth digit one less than the fifth and the fifth digit one less than the last. The second digit equals the sum of the last three digits, and the third digit equals the sum of the second and the fourth.
American Mensa is an organization for people with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. Members come from all walks of life and enjoy hundreds of pportunities to share ideas and meet new people each year. To learn more, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway, call us at (800) 66-MENSA or connect with us at www.facebook.com/americanmensa or www.twitter.com/americanmensa.
Did you enjoy this Mensa Quiz? Take the Official Mensa Home Test online right now for just $5! Go to www.us.mensa.org/mht and, when prompted, enter code AA0715. Mensa is the High IQ community that celebrates and connects more than 56,000 members nationally and more than 100,000 members internationally. Discover how to join at www.us.mensa.org/join or call (800) 66-MENSA.