The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers?
1. The owner of a local grocery store has his own system for pricing items. A grapefruit costs 10 cents, a pineapple costs 15 cents, a pear costs five cents, and a banana costs 15 cents. According to the same system, how much will an eggplant cost?
2. A statement that is probably true is coiled in the grid below. To spell it out, start with one letter and move to an adjacent letter in any direction.
(Hint: Start with an A. One null.)
3. How many common English words can you make from the letters below, using all five letters only once in each word?
4. Take a word that means “keep,” and then change one letter to find a word that means “hold” or “arrest.”
5. The names of four animals are hidden in the sentences below. Can you find them?
(The letters are in consecutive order.)
6. Fill in the blanks to complete the word below.
7. Pat is now twice as old as Charlie. Three years ago, she was three times as old as he was, and three years from now, Charlie will be three-fi fths Pat’s age. How old are they now?
(Hint: Neither is yet a teenager.)
8. All the vowels have been removed from the following nursery rhyme. Can you read it?
9. What one three-letter word can be added to the blanks below to make a new word in each case?
10. Make your way from late to on time in only three steps, changing one letter at a time to make a good English word at each step.
Bonus Question: What musical era is characterized by composers such as Schumann, Verdi, and Mahler?
If you find that you do need some help please visit our Puzzle and Quiz Answers page.
Intelligent. Inquisitive. Intrigued? You know you belong, so why not join? American Mensa is an organization for people with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. To learn more, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway, call us at (800) 66-MENSA or connect with us at www.facebook.com/americanmensa or www.twitter.com/americanmensa.
Quiz © 2017 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years.