The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society.
Can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, the answers are on the Puzzle and Quiz Answers page. By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
1. Which of these words best completes the series?
1) Slide 2) Basket 3) Bicycle 4) Working
2. The answer below is a palindrome. (A word, sentence, or group of words that reads the same forward and backward.)
3. Which of the following is least like the others? The difference has nothing to do with vowels, consonants, or syllables.
4. Jack likes to play golf, and his favorite partner is his father-in-law’s only daughter’s only brother. Who is he?
5. Some encouragement is hidden in the lines below. Can you find it?
You can do it.
When you find the clue,
you will know this is right.
6. Unscramble the letters in each word below, and then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
7. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same eight letters, can be used to complete the second sentence below?
9. Fill in each blank below with a word that has the same meaning as the words on either side.
not heavy __________ to illuminate
color ________ to darken, as toast
10. Take a word that means “worship” or “adore,” then change one letter and find a word that means “strict.”
Bonus Question: Using the sieve of Eratosthenes, what are you separating out?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/
americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2007 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2007 edition of the calendar is on sale now.