The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers?
1. Fill in the square using four A’s; two each of the letters D, E, N, and R; and one each of the letters L, M, S, and W (for a total of 16 letters) so that each word can be read the same across and down.
2. The poem below can be completed by finishing each couplet with words that sound the same but have different meanings.
There was rain and snow and noisy _______
My face was wet, my hands and ________
My little jacket, fur of ___________
The cab came by, I shouted ______
And stepped inside, both dry and _______
3. Unscramble the letters in each of the words below, and then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
4. Each of the following definitions can be answered by two words that rhyme.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Al’s golf cries
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
5. Sara is now four years older than her sister Erin. Four years ago, Erin was three-fifths her sister’s age. In two years, Erin will be three-fourths Sara’s age. How old are they now? (Hint: One is a teenager; one is not yet a teenager.)
6. The following 17 letters can be anagrammed into a three-word phrase that a new store might place in its windows.
7. Sandy likes America but not New Zealand. She likes Bolivia but not Mexico, and she likes Tasmania but not England. Following the same rule, will she like Maryland or Colorado?
8. The following definition can be answered by two words that rhyme.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Bonus Question: What is the common name for the animal Arius felis that, despite appearances, is not part of the genus Felis?
If you find that you do need some help please visit our Puzzle and Quiz Answers page.
Intelligent. Inquisitive. Intrigued? You know you belong, so why not join? American Mensa is an organization for people with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. To learn more, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway, call us at (800) 66-MENSA or connect with us at www.facebook.com/americanmensa or www.twitter.com/americanmensa.
Quiz © 2007 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years.