Mensa QuizThe following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Without seeking the assistance of fellow passengers, can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, the answers are below. By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
1. An eight-letter word is hidden in the box below. Find it by beginning with the correct letter and moving clockwise or counterclockwise around the box, using each letter only once.
2. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same nine letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?
The very __________ movie star was happily married and threatened to sue over the __________ in the tabloids that said he was getting a divorce.
3. Place a different letter on each line below to make two new words on each line.
LAD _ OUR
WIDE _ AID
WIN _ RAVE
4. Six boys can break 12 plastic toys in an hour. How long will it take the same six boys to break 42 toys?
5. Some letters have been removed from the names of animals below. Fill in the missing letters to find each animal.
_ O _ I _ _ _
W _ _ D _ _ _ _ S _
_ N _ E _ _ P _
W _ M _ _ _
6. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same eight letters, can be used to complete the sentences below?
The detective examined the __________
evidence very closely. Eventually, he was able to determine that the treasure had been hidden under some __________.
7. What is the number that is 10 more than twice one-tenth of one-tenth of one-half of 5,000?
8. Fill in each blank below with a word that has the same meaning as the words on either side.
Thing __________ to oppose
To ignore __________ to see past
To illuminate __________ not heavy
9. Susan invited her husband’s mother’s only husband’s only son to have lunch at a restaurant. What relation is he to Susan?
10. Place an R in front of a word that means “to bring out” to find a word that means “to cut down in size.” Then place a T in front of a word that means “to go into” to find a word that refers to someone living in a temporary shelter.
Bonus Question: According to tradition, the following messages were the first to be transmitted by what form of communication?
A. “What hath God wrought?”
B. “Watson, come here, I want you!”
C. Mary had a little lamb ... etc.
D. The Morse code letter S
E. “Wait a minute, wait a minute, you ain’t heard nothin’ yet.”
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised, standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway
or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2005 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing).
2. Masculine, calumnies
3. Y, R, G
4. Three-and-a-half hours
5. Gorilla, wildebeest, antelope, wombat
6. Forensic, conifers
7. 60. (5,000/2=2,500; /10=250; /10=25; x2=50; +10=60.)
8. Object, overlook, light
9. Her husband
10. Educe, reduce; enter, tenter
D. Radio (accept radiotelegraph, but telegraph is wrong)
E. Sound motion picture