The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society.
Can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, try our Puzzle and Quiz Answers page
1. The poem below can be completed by finishing each couplet with words that sound the same but have different meanings.
The poor boy wailed, “I haven’t a ____.
The check that was promised hasn’t been ____.
“Should I complain, a sturdy ____,
Because my money is not in the ____?
“Better by far to go on my ___
While I _____ my different options.”
2. Willy is now half his father, Wally’s, age. In 10 years, he will be three-fifths his father’s age. Ten years ago, he was one-third his father’s age. How old are Willy and Wally now?
3. The Logic Professor put a note on his classroom door: “Sorry to cancel class today (Tuesday). I’ll be here two days after two days before the day after tomorrow.” What day will he be back?
4. Unscramble the letters in each “pie” segment below, then find the missing letter that completes each word. (The missing letter, indicated by the question mark, is the same for each word.)
5. Jon is always prompt. This day, he told his wife, “If we drive at 40 miles an hour, we’ll be 30 minutes late, but if we drive 50 percent faster, we’ll be right on time.” How far did he need to drive?
6. Fill in the blanks to complete the word below:
H _ _ O _ _ E _ _ C _ _ L _
7. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same seven letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?
Unfortunately we soon learned that _______ is the _______ term for a stony beach.
To the best of our knowledge, only one word can be made from all of the letters below. Can you figure it out?
A A B C E F I I I N O T T U
Intelligent. Inquisitive. Intrigued? You know you belong, so why not join? American Mensa is an organization for people with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. To learn more, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway
, call us at (800) 66-MENSA or connect with us at www.facebook.com/?americanmensa
Quiz © 2012 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years.