1. The following 16 letters can be anagrammed into a five-word statement (including an apostrophe) made by a salesman trying to sell you something.
A A D D E E G I L O O R S T V Y
2. Figure out the pattern in the first three examples, and then use it to fill in the missing word.
1, 4, 4 (Off) 7, 8, 10 (Set) 2, 1, 9 (Ton) 4, 8, 9 (?)
3. Find the six-digit number in which the second digit is one more than the first and one less than the third, the fourth digit is one more than the third and three more than the first, and the fifth and sixth digits make a number that is the sum of the first four digits. The sum of all the digits is 26.
4. Replace the first letter of the words in each row in order to make two new words that both start with the same letter. Then, place that letter in the blank between the two words. When you are finished, you’ll have a new word reading down.
Rarely __________ Vanish
Rim __________ Bid
Text __________ Fear
Sight __________ Hither
5. Unscramble the 15 letters below to make a common three-word phrase that some people use to describe getting married.
A E E G G H I K L N N P T T U
6. The students in a math class took an exam. They all got different grades, ranging from A to F. Rachel received neither an A nor an F. Pat got a lower score than Rachel. Bill was beaten by Sue. Andy beat Rachel but not Bill. Who got the A?
7. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same five letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?
Bob had such bad luck fishing alone that he
hired a special ___________ to go with him to
help him learn how to catch ___________.
Bonus Question: In July 1994, the collision of two solar-system bodies was observed for the first time in history. Give the designations of the objects.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2009 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.