The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers?
1. If six teachers can mark 36 papers in an hour and a half, how many papers can eight teachers mark in one hour?
2. To the best of our knowledge, only one other word can be made from all the letters in the word calligraphy. Can you figure out what it is?
3. Unscramble the letters in each word below, then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
LSIDRUNGDTLYE EHTA GIP
DSAI MOT I MRFAS
4. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same seven letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?
When it came to _______ friends at their wedding, the bride and groom did a bit of _______ by pretending there were no seats for the bridal party.
5. Which word best fits with the following set?
Sandal Better Billing Root ____
1) Seam 2) Scare 3) Island 4) Murmur
6. What one three-letter word can be added to the blanks below to make a new word in each case?
7. Samuel and Samantha, who are twins, discovered that if they added their ages together, they would be the same age as their brother Simpson. Four years ago, the sum of their ages was one-half of their brother’s age, but four years from now, their brother’s age will be four-fifths of the sum of their ages. How old are they now? (Hint: The twins are not teenagers yet.)
8. Fill in the word square using four “A’s”; three “T’s”; two each of the letters “E,” “N,” and “R”; and one each of the letters “D,” “O,” and “S” (for a total of 16 letters) so that each word can be read across and down.
9. A plant recycles old bottles to produce new ones at the rate of 10 old ones to make one new one. Every bottle the plant makes gets recycled. If it makes 1,000 new bottles, how many bottles can be made in total?
Bonus Question: Complete the following pair: Barnum and ________
If you find that you do need some help please visit our Puzzle and Quiz Answers page.
Intelligent. Inquisitive. Intrigued? You know you belong, so why not join? American Mensa is an organization for people with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. To learn more, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway, call us at (800) 66-MENSA or connect with us at www.facebook.com/americanmensa or www.twitter.com/americanmensa.
Quiz © 2007 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years.