The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, try our Puzzles & Quiz Answer page.
1. What number is one more than one-fifth of one-half of one-half of 1,000?
2. There’s something unusual about the following sentence. Can you tell what it is?
“Not only is this unusual, it is also a particularly difficult thing to do.”
3. Find the whole number that best completes the sequence below.
8, 4 = 3
12, 6 = 3
16, 4 = ?
4. Three boys were playing computer games. Dan won twice as many games as Jon and Mike combined. Jon won twice as many games as Mike and eight fewer than Dan. How many games did each boy win?
5. Unscramble the letters in each word that is shown below, then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
TRENA LEEOPP TA
EHT CHEAB YMAN
DIAS REEH MOT
6. a) Add an “s” in front of a word that means “codger” to get a word that means “to move quickly.”
b) Add an “s” in front of a slang word meaning “beat” to get a word that means “slippery.”
7. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same six letters, can be used to complete the following sentences?
“One of the reasons I bought this house was the lovely carved _ _ _ _ _ _.
I thought it was real and now I find it is plastic.”
Bonus Question: Find a five-digit number in which the first digit is double the second, the third digit is two less than the second, the fourth digit is the sum of the second and the third, and the last digit is one less than the first. The sum of all of the digits is 19.
American Mensa is an organization for people with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. Members come from all walks of life and enjoy hundreds of pportunities to share ideas and meet new people each year. To learn more, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway, call us at (800) 66-MENSA or connect with us at www.facebook.com/americanmensa or www.twitter.com/americanmensa.
Did you enjoy this Mensa Quiz? Take the Official Mensa Home Test online right now for just $5! Go to www.us.mensa.org/mht and, when prompted, enter code AA0715. Mensa is the High IQ community that celebrates and connects more than 56,000 members nationally and more than 100,000 members internationally. Discover how to join at www.us.mensa.org/join or call (800) 66-MENSA.