1. The following descriptions are those of real magazine titles with only one letter changed.
(a) Cooktops for people on the go
(b) Entertainment for your mobile home
(c) Receipt for repairing a garden pot
2. Billy has one more sister than he has brothers. His sister Barbara has one more brother than she has sisters. If Billy had one less brother, he would have three times as many sisters as brothers. How many boys and girls are among the siblings in the family? (Hint: There are no more than 10.)
3. The following puzzle consists of one word that can be split into two words. Below are the corresponding definitions.
Two-words: a mark left by a beer glass
4. A simple substitution code has been used to conceal a “quote.” Work out the code to decipher the original words.
Little Miss Muffet:
J TIPVME IBWF XBJUFE VOUJM UIF
DVSET BOE XIFZ XFSF NBEF JOUP DIFFTF
5. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same six letters, can be used to complete the sentences below?
When the explorers crossed the mountains,
their hopes were _____. Only a desert appeared
ahead, with no _____ refuge from the heat.
6. Jimmy went shopping for a Fourth of July picnic. In the first store, he spent half of what he had plus $10 on meat for the barbecue. In the second, he spent half of what was left plus $2 on soda. In the third, he spent half of what was left plus $2 on paper plates. In the fourth, he spent four-sevenths of what was left on condiments. He had $3 left. How much did he start with? (Hint: Work backward.)
7. First, unscramble the letters in each word below; then, unscramble the word order to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
YBBHO YM SI DIAS
MOT HGTLYIL COCGNITELL
Bonus Question: The Battle of Jutland was the greatest naval battle of which war?
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2009 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.