1. Fill in the blanks to spell out the names of six well-known European cities.
_ E _ E _ A
S _ _ C _ H _ _ M
P _ _ A
_ E _ I _ E
_ A _ C _ L _ _ A
2. Charlie is two-thirds Pat’s age. Three years from now, Charlie will be as old as Pat is now. How old are Charlie and Pat now?
3. The teller at the bank found some loose change in the cash drawer. The total of all of the coins was $5.60. There were the same number of pennies, nickels and dimes in the drawer. How many of each coin were there?
4. Six pairs of sandals and two pairs of boots cost $76. Six pairs of boots and two pairs of sandals cost $100. How much does a pair of boots cost?
5. Make your way from KING to RULE in only four steps, changing one letter at a time to make a good English word at each step.
— — — —
— — — —
— — — —
R U L E
6. In a peculiar clothing store, a dress is $25, a jacket is $50 and a bathing suit is $75. According to the same system, how much will a jumpsuit cost?
7. Can you find the two numbers that fit the following description?
The first number plus the square of the second number equals seven. The second number plus the square of the first number equals 11.
8. Find a word that means “to misplace,” then add a letter to find a word meaning “to shut.” Then find a word for a musical sound and add one letter to find a word for a hard rock.
Bonus Question: Katie sent out invitations to her husband’s birthday party. She sent one to her husband’s only sister’s only husband’s only brother-in-law’s only daughter. What relation is she to Katie?
American Mensa is an organization for people with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. Members come from all walks of life and enjoy hundreds of opportunities to share ideas and meet new people each year. To learn more, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway, call us at (800) 66-MENSA or connect with us at www.facebook.com/americanmensa or www.twitter.com/americanmensa.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. Quiz © Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing).