Mensa QuizThe following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, try our Puzzle and Quiz Answers page
1. Pat is one-third Lenore’s age. In 12 years, she will be one-half Lenore’s age. Six years ago, she was one-fifth Lenore’s age. How old are they now?
2. Ryan’s only sister’s husband’s only mother-in-law’s only husband’s mother met Ryan in the store. What relation is she to Ryan?
3. The following puzzle consists of one word that can be split into two words.
4. The explorers traveled one mile north, one mile east, then one mile south and one mile west. Where are they?
5. The state of Elsewhere added several taxes to everything. A $20 theater ticket included a 15 percent amusement tax, a 5 percent city tax and a 5 percent state tax. If there were no taxes, how much would the ticket cost?
6. Which of the items below is least like the others? (The difference has nothing to do with vowels, consonants or syllables.)
7. Find the five-digit number in which the first two digits, when read as a two-digit number, are three times the third, and the last two digits, when read as a two-digit number, are twice the third. The sum of all of the digits is 27.
8. A simple substitution code has been used to conceal a “quote.” Work out the code to decipher the original words. Little Jack Horner:
9. Change one letter in the name of a famous story about a hunter to find the story about a Prohibitionist.
10. Find the word that best completes the following sequence.
Bonus Question: Start with the number of Snow White’s dwarfs, subtract the number of letters in the type of slipper Cinderella wore, then add the number of musketeers in the title of Dumas’ novel. What number do you get?
American Mensa is an organization for people with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. Members come from all walks of life and enjoy hundreds of opportunities to share ideas and meet new people each year. To learn more, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway, call us at (800) 66-MENSA or connect with us at www.facebook.com/americanmensa or www.twitter.com/americanmensa.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. Quiz © 2012 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). Get your daily dose of puzzles by purchasing the 2012 calendar.