The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, click here for the answers. By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
1. Start with the number of original colonies that later became part of the United States, add the number of senators in the U.S. Senate and subtract the number of stripes in the American flag. What number do you get?
2. The following puzzle consists of one word that can be split into two words:
One word: army business
Two words: food for combatants
3. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same seven letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?
The extremely talented ___________could
make any situation seem real, but she lost her
composure when the ____________on her chair
loosened and she slid across the stage.
4. Unscramble the 14 letters below to find a two-word description of a kitchen appliance.
C E E E K O O P R R R S S U
5. A statement is coiled in the grid below. To spell it out, start with one letter and move to an adjacent letter in any direction. (Hint: Start with a “T.”)
6. You’re trying to stick to your budget for your big buffet. You look at some fruit and find that six pounds of apples and seven pounds of pears will cost $20, whereas seven pounds of apples and six pounds of pears will cost only $19. How much are apples per pound?
7. What three words, formed from different arrangements of the same five letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?
When my wallet, containing my credit cards
and my last ___________, slipped from my hand
and fell down the _____________, I felt I was at
the ___________________of my trip.
Bonus Question: The Mekong River, also known as the Danube of Southeast Asia, has its delta in what country?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2010 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.