The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers? By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
For the answers, visit our Puzzle and Quiz Answers page.
1. An eight-letter word is coiled in the box below. Find it by beginning with the correct letter and moving clockwise or counterclockwise around the box, using each letter only once.
|E R I
L U R
2. First unscramble the letters in each word below, and then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
MOT DIAS YM RETCHEA LAWSYA CMISU EM I DAH HTAT ON TAETNL NI LDFIE LYFLTA HTIS LDTO
3. Find the five-digit number in which the first digit is three more than the second, the second is three more than the third, the fourth is one-third of the third, and the last is one-sixth of the second. The sum of all of the digits is 20.
4. Fill in each blank below with a word that has the same meaning as the words on either side.
Kitchen equipment ______ A large grazing area
Undergrowth _____ A scrubbing tool
5. Find the palindrome described by the sentence below.
What encouragement would his friend give David in hide-and-seek?
6. A true statement is written below in a simple substitution code. Decipher the code and find the statement.
WVHKRGV GSV SRTS XLHG LU ORERMT RG RH HGROO VCGIVNVOB KLKFOZI
7. What three letters (different letters for each pair of words) can be inserted into the blanks below to make a word on either side?
LO _ _ _ CIUM
HAND _ _ _ SIDE
8. The following line from a song has been put into very fancy language. Can you put it back into standard English?
In an undisclosed location, apparently beyond the arc of spectrum colors, the atmosphere is clear and cerulean
Bonus Question: What early stringed instrument does Katharina try to learn to play in Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2008 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2008 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.