1. At least two words can be made from all of the letters in the word creational. Can you find at least one of them?
2. The following 25 letters can be anagrammed into a seven-word phrase that means “in a very difficult situation.” Can you figure it out?
A A A A A B C C D D E E E E
H K L N N O P R R T W
3. Find the five-digit number in which the first two digits are the address of the British prime minister, the third digit is three times the first, the fourth digit is one more than the third, and the fifth digit is the number of blind mice. The sum of all of the digits is 11.
4. What two words, formed from different arrange ments of the same six letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?
It sometimes ___________ that a purple
___________ will come up yellow since this
plant is a member of the saffron family.
5. James is now one-sixth as old as Jim is. In four years, he will be three-eighths Jim’s age. In eight years, he will be half of Jim’s age. How old are they now? (Hint: One is not a teenager.)
6. Fill in the missing number.
Monday the 3rd = 9
Wednesday the 12th = 21
Friday the 8th = 14
Sunday the 10th = ?
7. First unscramble the letters in each word below and then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
ICCCYLUSTN NI SI GGLUDEP
PU PTRAANTEM YM DSAI
MTO TEH LNIPUMBG
8. The following common expression has been put into very fancy language. Put it back into standard English.
The lack of an aqueous substance necessary to
life is normally not noted until its deep source
fails to replenish.
Bonus Question: On an ordinary VCR tape, what does the acronym VHS stand for?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2009 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.