The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers? By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
For the answers, visit our Puzzle and Quiz Answers page.
1. If Brett were one year younger, he would be twice Heidi’s age now. In three years, Heidi will be three-fifths Brett’s age. In seven years, Heidi will be as old as their combined ages now. How old are they? (Hint: Neither one is a teenager.)
2. A word is coiled in the box below. To find it, begin with the correct letter and move in either direction around the box, using each letter only once.
|R A S
H S E
3. A substitution code conceals a “quote” from the Big Bad Wolf. Decipher the code to find the quote.
4. A statement about love is coiled below. To find it, start with one letter and move to an adjacent letter in any direction. (Hint: Start with an L. One null.)
| Y E L L O I N
O E A E V L D
E P E I S B B
E N R A I T U
R A N C A R M
L E B E G R A
5. Decipher the meaning of the definition below. It can be made into one word that matches the definition.
6. Jane needed to buy sheets and towels. At the first counter, she spent 25 percent of what she had, plus $20. At the next counter, she spent 25 percent of what was left, plus $15. She then spent 25 percent of what was left, plus $10. This left her with $35 for monograms. How much did she start with?
7. What one three-letter word can be added in the blanks below to make a word in each case?
8. Figure out the meaning of the two definitions below. Put together, they will form a new word.
b) The years go by
Bonus Question: Name the person who first laid down the principles for the geostationary orbiting communications satellite in the 1940s.
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2008 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2008 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.