The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers?If you find that you do need some help, check out our Puzzles & Quiz Answers page.
1. Our corner grocery store prices its food according to the owner’s whim. An eggplant costs 32 cents, a cucumber costs 28 cents and a turnip costs 22 cents. According to this system, how much will a tomato cost?
2. Each definition below applies to a word that begins with the name of a four-letter bird. Can you find all three words?
b) Very chic _ _ _ _ _ _ (6 letters)
c) Plumber’s tool _ _ _ _ _ _ (6 letters)
3. What number is one more than one-tenth of one-half of one-half of 1,000?
4. Make your way from PIG to STY in only five steps, changing one letter at a time to make a common English word at each step.
_ _ _
_ _ _
_ _ _
_ _ _
5. The Great Detective was called in on a case where a man had been found stabbed to death in his apartment, which was fully furnished with a desk, chairs, a TV, a refrigerator, etc. No knife was found, but a sharp-bladed mold was found. The apartment was locked from the inside, and there was no sign that anyone had broken in. What happened?
6. A good idea is coiled in the grid below. To spell it out, start with one letter and move to an adjacent letter in any direction. (Hint: Start with a “D.” One null.)
Bonus Question: The names of three fruits are interlettered below. Can you find them? (The letters are in consecutive order.)
M P A E E P L A P O C L N H E
American Mensa is an organization for people with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. Members come from all walks of life and enjoy hundreds of opportunities to share ideas and meet new people each year. To learn more, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway, call us at (800) 66-MENSA or connect with us on Facebook or on Twitter.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. Quiz © Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing).