The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, click here
for the answers. By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
1. Ryan went shopping for favors for his birthday party. In the first store he went to, he spent half of what he had plus $2 for small baseball souvenirs. In the second store, he spent half of what he had left plus $2 for paper plates and cups. In the third store, he spent half of what was left plus $1, and he then had $10 left. How much did he start with? (Hint: Work backward.)
2. What one three-letter word can be placed in the blanks below to make four different words?
3. Ten ice-cream bars and six ice-cream cones cost $13. However, if you buy six ice-cream bars and 10 ice-cream cones, the bill will be $11. How much does one ice-cream bar cost?
4. An eight-letter word appears in the box below. Find it by beginning with the correct letter and moving clockwise or counterclockwise around the inner rim of the box, using each letter only once.
5. Betty is now one-third as old as her brother Bob. In six years, she will be as old as he is now. In nine years, she will be two-thirds as old as he will be then. How old are they now? (Hint: Neither one is a teenager.)
6. The following descriptions are those of real book, play or magazine titles that have only one letter changed.
a) The crimson hunting dog
b) The beautician who sets my wig
c) News about the timid side of Hollywood
7. Find the word that best completes the sequence below.
Drink Elect Failure Great ______
a) Helpful b) Winter c) Despair
To a car-racing fan, what does the acronym NASCAR stand for?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book
. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar
(Workman Publishing). The 2010 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.