The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ organization. Can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, the answers are on this page.
1. Fill in each blank below with a four-letter word that fits the definitions on either side.
An animal _ _ _ _ To endure
Mail _ _ _ _ Pole
To rant _ _ _ _ Part of a staircase
2. Complete the word square below by inserting the letters A, A, A, D, E, E, R, R and T to create the same words reading across and down.
3. Place the same four-letter word in the blanks before each group of letters below so that the resulting words, when read from left to right, are four commonly known words.
_ _ _ _ RIDGE
_ _ _ _ ICIPATE
_ _ _ _ ICULAR
_ _ _ _ NER
4. Fill in the blanks to spell the names of four famous 19th-century writers.
_ A _ Z _ C
_ _ C _ _ N _
H _ _ T _ _ R _ E
_ H _ T _ A _
5. In the following configuration of words, you need to unscramble the letters in each of the 10 words so that you can then unscramble the order of those words to create what is commonly known as a Tom Swifty sentence.
RFREPE OT NO EB I DAIS
MOT SALAYW MTIE TCHAWLLYUF
6. Fill in the blanks so that the words fit the definitions.
a) Having a deceptive appearance:
_ H _ N _ _ _ M _ G O _ _ C _ L
b) Vague: I _ D _ S _ E _ N _ B _ _
c) Tot: K _ _ D _ _ G _ R _ N _ _
Bonus Question: We’ve removed all the vowels (including “y”) from a well-known quotation. Can you put them back where they belong?
L L W R K N D N P L
M K S J C K D L L B
Did you enjoy this Mensa Quiz? Take the Mensa Prep Test online right now for just $5. Go to us.mensa.org/mht and enter code AA031514. Mensa encourages and supports knowledge-seekers like you. Discover how to join at us.mensa.org/join or call (800) 66-MENSA.