1. How many common English words can you make from the letters below, using each letter only once in each word?
E D T I
2. Unscramble the 14 letters below to make a common four-word expression that is very popular in the army.
A A D H I N P R R T U U W Y
3. Figure out the pattern in the first three examples and use it to figure out the last number.
7, 4, 3 (8)
9, 3, 3 (9)
7, 7, 2 (12)
8, 6, 3 (?)
4. Start with the number of legs on an arachnid, divide by the number of legs on a biped, and multiply by the number of legs on a tripod. What number do you get?
5. Find the number that best completes the sequence below.
1 12 3 14 5 16 7 18 ? 20 11
6. What one three-letter word can be inserted into all three blanks below to make two words in each row?
7. Ryan is now two-thirds Rachel’s age. Six years ago, he was half her age. Six years from now, he will be as old as Rachel is now. How old are they now?
8. Fill in the blanks to complete the word shown below.
__ NS __ __ N __ A __ __ O __ __ L __
9. Figure out the pattern in the first three examples and use it to figure out the last number.
a, c, d (8)
d, e, f (15)
a, a, f (8)
f, a, b (?)
Bonus Question: Give the complete common name for Varecia variegata variegata, a creature found in Madagascar.
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2010 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.