1. Think of a word that means “to misplace” and add a letter to make a word that means “to shut.” Then, think of a word for a musical sound and add a letter to make a word for a hard rock.
2. Unscramble the letters in each word below, and then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
CHEAB YMAN DIAS REEH
MOT DOLLYC HEERT
3. If the square of four is 16, cross out the A and B below. If the square of five is four, cross out the C’s and R’s. If the square root of 16 is four, cross out the D’s and N’s. If it’s is not a plural, cross out the S’s. What do you get?
4. An eight-letter word is coiled in the box below. Find it by beginning with the correct letter and moving clockwise or counterclockwise around the box, using each letter only once.
5. Find the five-digit number in which the first two digits represent the number of original U.S. states, the third digit is the sum of the first and second digits, the fourth digit is half the third, and the fifth digit is four times the fourth. The sum of all of the digits is 18.
6. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same six letters, can be used to complete the sentences below?
of the reasons I bought this house was the
lovely carved ____________. I thought it was
real, and now I find it is plastic.”
7. The Brownie troop contributed to their awards lunch. When the change was totaled, it amounted to $4.80, with the same number of pennies, nickels, and dimes. How many of each coin were there?
Bonus Question: What movie star first went by the name Marion Morrison?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2009 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.