1. Choose the correct letter from each clue in the rhyme below. When you put the five letters in order, they will spell the answer to the riddle.
My first is in hot but not in cold.
My second in off and also old.
My third in up but not in play.
My fourth in saint and also say.
My last you’ll find in eye, but not long.
My whole a place renowned in song.
2. What single three-letter word can be placed in the blanks below to form four different words?
3. Unscramble the 16 letters below to make a four-word statement made by workers who want to keep a crowd orderly.
A A E E E I I L L N N P S S T Y
4. Replace the first letters of the words in each row to make new words, both starting with the same letter. Then place that letter in the blank between the two words. When you’re finished, you’ll have a new word reading down.
Remand _____ Swell
Scorn _____ Grid
Decent _____ Haven
Single _____ Meal
5. Sally is now three-fifths Susan’s age. A year ago, she was half Susan’s age. In five years, she will be four-fifths Susan’s age. How old are the two girls now? (Hint: Neither one is a teenager yet.)
6. Unscramble the letters in each word below, and then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
FO MOT DSIA DROA HTTA OT IEPSEC
LLFU SWA TUB FO LSSGA INSAL NDA
TI KETA ESSLYRTIEL DAH I.
7. Complete the sentence with words formed from different arrangements of the same seven letters.
The young lady got a better job and decided to
_______ her muslin sheets with _______.
Bonus Question: What movie star first went by the name Archibald Leach?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2010 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.