The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers?
1. Find the word that fits the definitions below when it’s a) a whole word and b) divided into two words.
b) Two words:
1. Part of the body
2. Partial amount
2. Fill in each blank below with a word that fits the definition on the left when read normally and that fits the definition on the right when read backward.
Frost _ _ _ _ A ruler
Put forth _ _ _ _ The fourth dimension
3. Julie has one fewer sister than she has brothers. Her brother Todd has one more sister than he has brothers. If Julia had one fewer sister she would have twice as many brothers as sisters. How many boys and girls are in the family? (Hint: There are no more than eight.)
4. Choose the correct letter from each clue in the rhyme below. When put in order, the four letters will spell the answer to the riddle.
My second in off but not in said.
My third in see and also say.
My last in one but not in way.
My whole, a flower, nice to see,
A lovely sight for you and me.
5. The logic professor sent the following email to his eight graduate students: “When the day after tomorrow is yesterday, we will meet the next day at 4 p.m.” He sent the email on Sunday. When will they meet?
6. The word below is missing a letter. Find the letter and complete the word.
Bonus Question: Which of the three-digit combinations below is least like the others?
If you find that you do need some help, try our Puzzle and Quiz Answers page.
Intelligent. Inquisitive. Intrigued? You know you belong, so why not join? American Mensa is an organization for people with IQs in the top 2 percent of the population. To learn more, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway, call us at (800) 66-MENSA or connect with us at www.facebook.com/americanmensa or www.twitter.com/americanmensa.
Quiz © 2013 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years.