By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
1. The following puzzle consists of one word that can be split into two words. Find it.
One word: to ratify or approve
Two words: a cheating business
2. Figure out the pattern in the first three examples and use it to figure out the last.
1, 2, 3 (s)
4, 5, 6 (f)
7, 7, 1 (f)
3, 9, 7 (?)
3. Bob is now half Betty’s age. Six years ago, he was one-third her age. Twelve years from now, he will be two-thirds her age. How old are Bob and Betty now?
4. Choose the correct letter from each clue in the rhyme below. When put in order, the four letters will spell the answer to the riddle.
My first is in art but not in hold.
My second in under but not in cold.
My third in tell but not in self.
My last in off but not in elf.
My whole is basic to our lives.
We use it both for work and drives.
_ _ _ _
5. How many common English words can you make from the letters below, using all four letters only once in each word?
A E M N
6. A bottle of coins sat on the table. When it was opened, there was a total of $8.10. There was an equal number of dimes, quarters, and silver dollars, but no other coin denomination. How many of each denomination were there?
7. The Great Detective has a puzzle to solve. A well-known crime author had signed his will at his lawyer’s office on Monday, taken it with him, and died in his sleep that night. He hadn’t visited his safe-deposit box, and the only clue was a note he left, obviously to remind himself where he’d put the will. The note said: “Take very secure efforts tomorrow.” The Great Detective found the will. Where was it?
Bonus Question: Traditionally, the U.S. Navy names cruisers after what?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2010 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.