The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers? If you find that you do need some help, click here for the answers. By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
1. First unscramble the letters in each word below, and then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
AVEH LGHTILY DAIS MOT
TEHES LLIW EB OT MOREDVE
ACBEUES ERA OTO HSDEAS
ARDK HEYT CHUM
2. In a peculiar clothing store, a dress costs $25, a jacket costs $50, and a bathing suit costs $75. According to the same system, how much will a jumpsuit cost?
3. Jerry likes chess but not golf. He likes contract bridge but not basketball. Following the same rule, will he like checkers or shuffleboard?
4. Choose the correct letter from each clue in the rhyme below. When put in order, the five letters will spell the answer to the riddle.
My first is in first but not in rest.
My second in least but not in nest.
My third in eat but not in kitten.
My fourth in glove but not in mitten.
My last in sport but not in pine.
My whole a patriotic sign.
5. Peter went for a walk with his wife, Sarah. On the way, he ran into his only brother’s wife’s only mother-in-law. What relation was she to Peter?
6. The teller at the bank found some loose change in the cash drawer. All the coins added up to a total of $5.60. There were the same number of pennies, nickels, and dimes in the drawer. How many of each coin were there?
7. An eight-letter word is coiled in the box below. Find it by beginning with the correct letter and moving clockwise or counterclockwise around the box, using each letter only once.
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2008 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2008 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.