The following questions are provided by the folks at American Mensa, the High IQ Society. Can you provide the answers? By Dr. Abbie F. Salny
For the answers, visit our Puzzle and Quiz Answers page.
1. Find the four-digit number of which the last digit is one-half of the third, the third is one-half of the second, and the second is one-half of the first. The sum of all the digits is 15.
2. First unscramble the letters in each word below, and then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
RWTAE PTIR ECRNTLEY A
RTUNRDEE MFRO TNGRFAI
3. Casey is now half Janes age plus one year. Five years from now, Casey will be as old as Jane is now. Two years ago, she was half Janes age. How old are Casey and Jane now? (Hint: Neither one of them is yet a teenager.)
4. What number is one-tenth of one-quarter of onehalf of 2,000?
5. The following 26 letters can be rearranged into a frequently used phrase about dealing with problems. What is the phrase? (Hint: One of the words is the.)
6. What three words, formed from different arrangements of the same eight letters, can be used to complete the sentences below?
severely, the ________ ________ her position.
However, she was able to ________ the collection
and was rehired.
7. Which number combination in the bottom row best completes the sequence in the top row?
a) 6-14 b) 4-32 c) 32-4
8. The following line from a famous speech has had all of the vowels removed and the remaining letters broken into groups of three. Replace the vowels to find the famous line. (Y is a vowel.)
9. Fill in the following word square using one L, one S, two Os, three Vs, four Rs, and five Es (for a total of 16 letters) so that each word can be read across and down.
L O VE
Bonus Question: The island that is the country of Sri Lanka was originally known by what name?
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2008 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2008 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.