Have a year to spare? Talone suggests you map out a route that joins roads to trails and walk across the entire United States: “There isn’t a better experience,” he says.
Don’t have time for a long haul? Try tackling the aforementioned routes one section at a time, or visit www.americantrails.org to find a trail near you.
You can read journals new and old online from our adventurers:
- Track Carlin “Buckwheat” Donahue’s progress at www.buckwheat.info or www.heartbeattrail.com.
- Get all the details of Ed Talone’s trek across the United States at www.americanhiking.org/news/ journal/hj3_5.html.
- Find out where Joe Bowen is today at www
- Learn about Dan Rogers’s ongoing journey at www.sheltoweehikes.com.
- Read Doug “Mainframe” Mathews’s online trip journals at home.att.net/~canbike/journeys.htm.