THIRD PLACE, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
Tony GambellOccupation: Associate Principal, Operations Consultant
Band/Artist: Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews & Orleans Avenue
Album: Orleans & Claiborne
Our Favorite Reason Why He Thinks He’s the Ultimate Road Warrior: “Warriors are known to exhibit seven key qualities — true also for road warriors. With this exhaustive list I exhibit an eighth quality of mind control — my ability to convince you that I am only slightly more worthy of the Road Warrior title than the other very worthy candidates.”
Third Prize: One three-night vacation for two at the Hilton Papagayo Resort & Spa in Costa Rica
One BlackBerry Storm smartphone from Verizon
One $100 Verizon Wireless gift card
Next thing you know, you’ll be walking the streets like a Midnight Creeper and telling La Chica Dulce that she’s the love of your life. Proceed with caution. When you get sensory overload from Bourbon Street (and you will — everybody does eventually), wander over to Frenchman Street. It’s known as the locals’ Bourbon Street. If it’s after 2 a.m., you might catch Shorty playing Suite Azari at the Blue Nile. Ask for Jesse. Tell him I sent you — he’ll know you ain’t Frontin’.”.
20 Things You Should Know About Me
1. Hurricane Katrina was the matchmaker who set me up with my wife.
2. I proposed to my wife on a Mississippi Habitat for Humanity build site.
3. I played vibes and drums for the Atomic Harvesters, Boston’s sexiest lounge/country band. We have two albums on iTunes.
4. As a member of my MIT grad-school softball team, I earned the nickname World’s Slowest Man.
5. In the early years of elementary school, I wanted to carry a briefcase to be like Dad.
6. As a child, I bore a striking resemblance to the character Opie (Ron Howard) on The Andy Griffith Show.
7. I really, really like cheese.
8. My first complete sentence was, “Mommy, please don’t sing.”
9. When I was 2 years old, I tried to climb the Christmas tree and pulled it over on top of myself. Now I have a cat that wants to be just like Dad.
10. As a child, I would get up in the middle of the night to watch meteor showers and comets with my mom.
11. My favorite authors growing up were Arnold Lobel and Roald Dahl; now they are John Irving and Shane Hamilton.
12. I have two favorite nephews: JD and William.
13. I like to cheat at Scrabble.
14. I’m a member of a Mardi Gras Krewe that rolls in Metairie, La.
15. I’ve been stung on the tongue by a bee. (Don’t ask.)
16. My favorite TV shows are Lost, 24 and Entourage.
17. I’ve played drums for Jimmy Carter, Mikhail Gorbachev, Regis and Kathie Lee, Miss America and all the guests at our wedding.
18. I once tried out for Blue Man Group. I wasn’t blue enough.
19. I’m very temperature insensitive; while I’m driving, it can be minus 10 degrees or 110 degrees inside my car, and I won’t notice until my poor passengers point it out.
20. I’ve hit golf balls in from 100 feet and 75 feet, but I can’t sink anything inside six.