SECOND PLACE, MURRELLS INLET, SOUTH CAROLINA
Amy ZimmerOccupation: Sixth-Grade Language Arts/Social Studies Teacher
Album: Wowee Zowee
Our Favorite Reason Why She Thinks She’s the Ultimate Road Warrior: “I dressed as a flight attendant for Halloween one year and was able to recite the ‘in the unlikely event of a water landing’ speech without even thinking.”
Second Prize: One Bose Lifestyle 48 home entertainment system
One Bose Wave music system
One pair of Bose QuietComfort 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones
One five-night vacation for two at the Hilton Papagayo Resort & Spa in Costa Rica, including one spa treatment for the winner and a guest
One BlackBerry Storm smartphone from Verizon
One $100 Verizon Wireless gift card
20 Things You Should Know About Me
1. I can sing “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes” in Swahili and “Jingle Bells” in Latin.
2. I will happily listen to one song on repeat for hours. Very few friends put up with this on car trips.
3. In January, I met a Yoruba king in Benin.
4. I swam competitively for 12 years. I was a distance freestyler.
5. I have set foot on all seven continents.
6. I have lived in six different countries so far.
7. E.E. Cummings is my favorite poet.
8. If I could have dinner with anyone in the world, I’d choose the Dalai Lama.
9. Mayonnaise creeps me out. If I have to have it in my fridge, I put it in a paper bag first (so I don’t have to look at it). I don’t mind the taste, though.
10. I’m moving to New York in June. It will have been 13 years since I last lived in the U.S.
11. I believe in tarot cards and fortune tellers.
12. I love the smell of freshly cut grass. It makes any day feel summery.
13. Ben Harper and Beck are my star crushes.
14. My first concert was Shaun Cassidy at the Omni in Atlanta, but my favorite was My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr. at the 40 Watt Club in Athens.
15. I’m a certified Reiki practitioner.
16. I don’t have any tattoos, but I used to have three additional piercings, which I took out for a job interview.
17. I was a DJ at my university’s radio station, WUOG 90.5FM.
18. I’m true to my Southern roots — I love sweet tea, grits, fried okra and good barbecue.
19. I usually mouth the words to “Happy Birthday,” because I can’t hit the high notes.
20. Soy lattes and flip-flops are essential for my well-being.