GRAND-PRIZE WINNER, DALLAS, TEXAS
Caryn CarsonOccupation: Senior Counsel, Tenet Healthcare Corporation
Album: Big Ones
Our Favorite Reason Why She Thinks She’s the Ultimate Road Warrior: “I’ve invented my own language for when I travel to Europe. It’s called Springlish. It’s a random combination or amalgamation of English, French, Spanish and Italian. When I open my mouth and try to talk, I never quite know what is going to come out.”
Grand Prize: Two million Hilton HHonors bonus points
One million AAdvantage bonus miles
One BlackBerry Storm smartphone from Verizon
One $100 Verizon Wireless gift card
With my deadlines at work, a shriveling 401(k) and a car alarm with the habit of going off spontaneously in the middle of the night, the dark circles under my eyes were just a clue that I was Livin’ on the Edge of a nervous breakdown, and I desperately needed to get out of Dallas. The part of me with better judgment said I was Crazy to have booked a trip to Paris for a long weekend. But the rest of me felt instinctively that a long walk along the Seine or staring up at the Angel on the roof of Sacré- Coeur were two of the best psychiatric prescriptions to keep me from Cryin’ through another summer in Texas.”
20 Things You Should Know About Me
1. I love sports (especially Dallas Cowboys football) and read the sports page every day, but my own athletic ability peaked in the fourth grade.
2. I worked on Al Gore’s 1988 presidential campaign.
3. My parents, my sister and I all have the same initials (CC), as does our family’s hometown of 35 years, Chevy Chase, Md.
4. The coolest summer job I ever had was working at FBI headquarters in Washington, D.C., between my first and second years of law school.
5. I had braces as a teenager. And again in my 30s. I will probably be laid to rest with a retainer in my mouth.
6. I find doing laundry to be very relaxing. This does not extend to picking up dry cleaning.
7. I have a cowlick in my hair at my right temple that never, ever goes away.
8. The first album I bought as a kid with my allowance was Billy Joel’s Glass Houses.
9. Just the smell of Goldschläger cinnamon schnapps makes my stomach turn. I think you know why.
10. I’ve answered to a few nicknames in my life (Scooter, CC, Twitchet), but right now my favorite is simply Aunt Caryn.
11. My one serious phobia is climbing ladders.
12. My computer screen saver at work is a scrolling banner that says “Let Your Freak Flag Fly.”
13. I have 12 pairs of Danskos in my closet.
14. Tall, nonfat, no water, extra-hot chai.
15. I once took a deposition inside a Texas prison. And they let me out afterward.
16. Moments before a fourth-grade recorder recital, my music teacher pulled me aside and suggested that I not actually blow into the instrument during the performance.
17. I am an Amazing Race–contestant reject.
18. I can sing the Greek alphabet.
19. I incessantly dial in to radio contests and giveaways.
20. I frequently sleepwalk , sleep talk and sleep dial.