1. Unscramble the letters in each word below, and then unscramble the order of the words to create a Tom Swifty sentence.
RETTBE DLOH HTE OT
SLOG ERLEDDOME CPEREFILA
EMOCPTLLEY SAW HET
2. What two words -- one four letters, the other five -- are spelled differently, are pronounced the same, and have opposite meanings?
3. Bill had a long conversation on his cell phone with his son’s only mother’s only father’s wife. What relation is she to Bill?
4. Think of a word for an animal fluid, and then change one letter to get a word for a fabric. Think of a word that means “to become firm” and change one letter to get a word for a pleasant outdoor space.
5. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same five letters, can complete the sentence?
tool _______________ the _______________ very
closely so that I can prune adequately.”
6. Find the five-digit number in which the first digit is two more than the second, the second is two more than the third, the third is double the fourth, and the fifth is half the fourth. The sum of the digits is 21.
7. The Great Detective is helping Company B with a background check. A man’s birth certificate shows that he was born in the Czech Republic in 1951. The Great Detective tells Company B the man is an imposter. How does he know that this is true?
8. Each set of definitions below forms a palindrome. What are they?
Parts of ships _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Smooth
9. To the best of our knowledge, only one word can be made from all these letters: Can you figure out what it is?
Bonus Question: Name the person responsible for the concept of “15 minutes of fame.”
American Mensa Limited, known as the High IQ Society, is an organization for individuals who have one common trait: a score in the top two percent on any supervised standardized intelligence test. For more information about American Mensa or to take the Mensa Home Test, visit www.us.mensa.org/americanway or call (800) 66-MENSA.
Dr. Abbie F. Salny was the supervisory psychologist for American Mensa and Mensa International for more than 25 years. She is a coauthor of the Mensa Think Smart Book. Quiz © 2009 by Dr. Abbie F. Salny and American Mensa Limited from the Mensa Page-A-Day Calendar (Workman Publishing). The 2009 edition of the calendar is available for sale now.